Head Barista, Full Time
We are on the lookout for Senior Barista/Shift Manager to join our family at Atomic Coffee Roasters. Atomic have been roasting, preparing and celebrating specialty coffee for over 25 years, now based in Kingsland, with three other satellite sites around Auckland Central.
A love of great coffee is at the heart of our business, but this stems to make every aspect of a customers experience with us as perfect as the espresso in their cup. From a friendly hello as you step in the door, to our regularly changing menu and range of coffee offerings, Atomic is focused on exceptional service across the board.
As our team grows and changes, we are looking for a technically sound, knowledgeable and skilled barista who will champion our coffee, and lead our tightknit team. In addition to being an exceptional barista, we need someone who is hospitable, engaged in building relationships with our customers, and confident training and supporting our barista team.
On a day to day basis you will:
- Work alongside our FOH and barista team to ensure that every cup of coffee that leaves our hands is at the same high quality standard.
- Ensure the smooth running of day to day operations, managing breaks, and closing up at the end of service.
- Train, develop and coach new and existing staff members, whether it be improving latte art, consistency or learning new methods of preparation.
- Taste and test our standard and special blends to ensure that the coffee is being prepared and served in the best possible way.
- Be knowledgeable on seasonal blends, best suited preparation methods for differing blends, roasts and single origins.
- Participate in regular cuppings with the Roastery team.
- Organise and lead staff trainings.
- Develop strong relationships with co-workers and customers, and inspire a positive working and café environment.
- Lead by example at all times, with a motivated and upbeat attitude, executing drink preparation, service and a spirit of genuine hospitality.
- Give positive and constructive feedback to co-workers, manage and resolving situations as they occur.
- Actively participate in New Zealand Speciality Coffee Association competitions and events and being a champion for the Atomic brand.
What we are looking for:
- Someone who has a genuine love for coffee and the hospitality industry and is eager to share their knowledge and experience.
- A positive and motivated team member, who supports those around them, starting and finishing each day with a smile on their face.
- Strong technical barista skills in all areas of preparation: brewing, espresso, latte art)
- Interest and existing knowledge of sensory evaluation of coffee – quality, characteristics and flavours.
In return we are offering:
- A fun and creative working environment, working as part of an engaged and enthusiastic team.
- Development of coffee knowledge, technique and understanding.
- Support for participating in specialty coffee events and competitions.
- Competitive hourly rate.
- As much coffee as you can drink!
This role is full time, 40 hours spread over five rostered days. Candidates must be able to work at least one weekend day and have NZ residency or a valid NZ work visa.